You probably have heard about terms such as CoreTrade and Multi-skill, but do you know how it can benefit your company? Even if you’ve not heard of it, you’ve also come to the right place!
Right here, we will cover the key information and benefits of CoreTrade which Construction worker(s) can complete to acquire a higher-skilled status.
1. What is it?
What is CoreTrade?
The Construction Registration of Tradesmen (CoreTrade) Scheme was introduced by the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) to allow the built environment sector to build up its core group of competent and experienced construction personnel in key construction trades and supervisory roles to anchor and lead the construction workforce. The CoreTrade Scheme is a registration system that is meant to raise the quality and productivity levels of workers in the construction industry.
Who is eligible for the CoreTrade Registration System?
This CoreTrade scheme is available for both local Singaporean workers and foreign workers with relevant years of experience working in the construction industry in Singapore. CoreTrade provides a platform to retain better and more experienced personnel by providing a clear career progression path and recognition.
According to the BCA, there are two types of construction personnel a worker may be categorised into:
- Construction Tradesmen – construction workers that are skilled in specific construction trades
- Construction Foreman – also known as a construction supervisor; in charge of coordinating and supervising tradesmen in a specific construction trade
What are the benefits of the CoreTrade Training Course?
Apart from equipping your workers with new knowledge and additional technical skills, your company can benefit by having them recognised by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) and Building and Construction Authority (BCA) and upgrade them into Higher-Skilled Workers.
By upgrading your construction personnel with a BCA approved training course like CoreTrade, employers will pay a lower levy rate and extended maximum period of employment. Instead of 14 years for a Basic-Skilled Worker, Higher-Skilled Workers actually have their period of employment extended to a maximum of 26 years!
Signing your employees for a familiarisation course provides a lot of benefits to you and your company. You get to keep your company’s high performing construction personnel with additional training and testing through this CoreTrade Scheme. No need to worry about re-hiring new workers all the time when you can keep the core group of personnel essential to your business for a long time.
What Is The Levy Rate for Workers with CoreTrade?
The levy rate is basically a pricing mechanism to regulate the number of foreign workers in Singapore and varies depending on the sector involved.
The levy rate that employers pay mainly depends on two factors:
- The worker’s qualifications.
- The number of Work Permit or S Pass holders hired.
The levy rate for the construction sector are:
Malaysians and NAS – Higher-Skilled
Malaysians and NAS – Basic-Skilled
NTS and PRC – Higher-Skilled, on MYE
NTS and PRC – Basic-Skilled, on MYE
NTS and PRC – Higher-Skilled, MYE waiver
NTS and PRC – Basic-Skilled, MYE waiver
Just based on looking at the Foreign Worker Levy Scheme, it’s super worth it to register your workers for a CoreTrade course as it lowers the levy rate for you and upgrades your general builders to become more skilled in key construction trades and become recognised as certified CoreTrade personnel! Now all you got to do is see whether your personnel are eligible for it!
Eligibility to sign up for CoreTrade Training Course
Based on the core trade scheme implemented by BCA, to be eligible for the CoreTrade training course, the eligibility requirements include:
|Qualification of Worker||Years of Construction Experience in Singapore||Practical Test||Theory Test|
|CoreTrade Tradesmen||Minimum 4 years||PASS||–|
|CoreTrade Foremen||Minimum 6 years||PASS||PASS|
|CoreTrade Supervisor||Minimum 8 years||PASS||PASS|
Applications for the CoreTrade training course should be in PDF format and submitted online for registration. Interested applicants should prepare the required documents as listed below:
- Worker’s NRIC (for Singaporean and Singapore PR) or valid work permit/employment pass (for foreigner)(front and back on a single page). For a company application, the name of the employer in the application must be similar to the employer stated in the foreign worker’s work pass.
- Skills Evaluation Certificate (SEC/SEC(K) or approved technical/academic qualification [foreign work permit holders who have obtained their (SEC/SEC(K) previously are not required to attach this certificate). A list of recognised qualifications can be found here.
- Valid Crane Operation Licence issued by the MOM (front and back on a single page). This is mandatory for all licensed crane operators.
- Valid Plumber or Electrician Licence. This is mandatory for all licensed plumber or electrician.
- Worker’s employment details (for work permit holder) obtained via the Ministry of Manpower website (WP Online), to verify the applicant’s years of local construction experience. This is mandatory for all foreign work permit holders. A sample for correct document attachment and information can be downloaded here.
The BCA will also charge a non-refundable application fee of $15 for each application submission.
Aesperon Construction is a BCA approved training centre! We have plentiful courses and certified trainers available in our centre that help people working in construction trades to learn new skills and upgrade themselves to be more valuable in the industry. The language of instruction in our courses will be primarily held in English and Mandarin Chinese. Test papers in the Tamil and Thai language are also available and can be provided by BCA.
If you need more information regarding any of the schemes and registration process or find out how you can upgrade your workforce and cut your costs at the same time, call us at 67413131 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a no obligations enquiry!
Here is a list of our CoreTrade Courses: